The department was established in 1958 and the subject was offered as a principal subject for graduation in 1966. It is taught at B. Sc. level and also has facilities for M. Phil teaching. Well-stocked herbarium of a wide variety of plants is the speciality of this department. A botanical garden spread over one acre is one of the prime assets of the department. This garden has recently been renovated to include several varieties of medicinal, endangered and ornamental plants for which it has received substantial financial support from the Ministry of Environment and Forests. The department also has a well- stocked museum of diverse plant specimens and well equipped laboratories with equipments like Spectrophotometer, Electrophoresis unit, Lux meter, Air sampler, pH meter, Microtome, BOD Incubator, Autoclave,etc. A separate departmental library is also available.
The department has successfully organised National Conference and workshops. It is also recognised for PG teaching and some students have successfully completed their M. Phil studies. Faculty of the department is actively engaged in research work and several members have published research papers in national and international journals. Faculty has also completed two minor research projects successfully and one major research project is on-going. Awareness of Botany among members of society is spread through the `Eco-Club’ activities conducted by the department. Department provides consultancy services to farmers and colleges in the vicinity. It also provides medicinal plants to society. The department conducts self-financing short term course, “Identification and Conservation of Medicinal Plants.”The Central Library is rich with more than 2990 books of Botany, written by Indian and foreign authors.